Bucs come from behind to defeat Lipscomb in overtime, 2-1
Bucs come from behind to defeat Lipscomb in overtime, 2-1
Monday, October 25, 2010
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Oct. 24, 2010) - The ETSU men's soccer team came back from a 1-0 deficit to defeat Lipscomb 2-1 in overtime Sunday afternoon at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex in Nashville, Tenn.
"I am extremely proud of the way our team played today," said head coach Scott Calabrese. "To come from a goal down early and to drive on to win the game in overtime away from home is a great achievement and shows our teams character."
The Bucs (11-4-0, 6-2-0 A-Sun) are now on a four-game win streak as they have clinched a first round bye in the Atlantic Sun Tournament. Currently ETSU sits in second place in the A-Sun standing with 18 points, three ahead of Stetson for the No.1 seed in the tournament.
 "We set some ambitious goals at the beginning of our season," Calabrese added. "The players are consistently proving that they are committed to achieving those goals. We will enjoy this result but have another important game against USC upstate to finish out the A-Sun regular season." 
ETSU outshot the Bisons (8-7-0, 4-3-0 A-Sun) 29-9 in the match as the Bucs had a 12-3 advantage in shots on goal, while corner kicks were tied at six apiece.
The Bisons went in front 1-0 in the 2nd minute as Kevin Barbar headed a free kick from Joey Chiappetta into the back of the net.
Junior Colin Pugh (Dublin, Ireland) just missed evening the contest in the 12th minute as he sent a ball towards an empty Lipscomb net, but a Bisons defender knocked the ball away just before it rolled over the goal line.
The score remained 1-0 at the break despite the Bucs having a 12-2 shot advantage in the half.
In the 49th minute, sophomore Theo Yang (Lilburn, Ga.) netted the equalizer for the Buccaneers as he sent a pass from Pugh past Lipscomb's Brent McGee into the right side of the net to make the score 1-all.
Yang almost had his second goal of the contest in the 78th minute as he blasted a shot to the near post from 15-yards out, but McGee was there to make a good save to keep the game level.
Neither team was able to net a game-winner in regulation as the game would go to overtime, and in the first overtime the Buccaneer offense picked up the intensity keeping the Bisons from mounting a scoring chance.
With less than a minute left in the first overtime period, freshman Mario Samperio (Guatemala City, Guatemala) settled the rebound from a David Geno (Kingsport, Tenn.) shot and fired the ball past two Lipscomb defenders into the back of the net for the game-winner in the 100th minute.
The Bucs close out the conference slate on Wednesday at 7 p.m. as they head to Spartanburg, S.C. to face USC Upstate. For more information on ETSU men's soccer and all other Buccaneer athletic news please visit www.ETSUBucs.com.