Bucs fall in overtime heartbreaker to 4th ranked UNC, 2-1
Bucs fall in overtime heartbreaker to 4th ranked UNC, 2-1
Sunday, October 31, 2010
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Oct. 30, 2010) - An overtime goal by North Carolina's Enzo Martinez was the difference as the ETSU men's soccer team dropped an overtime heartbreaker to No. 4 UNC in front of a record crowd of 1,350 Saturday night at Summers-Taylor Stadium.
"I am proud of the effort our players gave tonight," said head coach Scott Calabrese. "We conceded an early goal, but we never gave up. The team fought its way back into the game, and Aaron Schoenfeld and Theo Yang linked up to score a great goal to level the match."
The loss ends an 11-game home win streak for the Bucs (12-5-0, 7-2-0 A-Sun). The Tar Heels (13-2-1, 6-0-1 ACC) edged out ETSU in shots 12-11 putting seven on goal, while UNC had a 5-2 advantage in corners.
"The crowd was fantastic tonight, and on behalf of the players and the staff I want to thank all those who came out to support us tonight," Calabrese added.
UNC grabbed a 1-0 lead in the 13th minute when Kirk Urso sent a cross from Martinez past an ETSU defender and into the side of the net.
The score remained 1-0 at the half as the Buccaneers outshot the Tar Heels 5-2 in the period but could not net an equalizer.
In the second half, North Carolina picked up its offensive intensity as keeper Ronnie Hreha (Asheville, N.C.) had to step up and made a couple big stops to keep ETSU in the contest.
Junior Aaron Schoenfeld (Knoxville, Tenn.) gave the Buccaneers the equalizer in the 88th minute as sophomore Theo Yang (Lilburn, Ga.) played a ball back to Schoenfeld who one-timed a shot past UNC's Scott Goodwin to level the game at 1-all.
The Bucs were forced to go a man down in the 90th minute as junior Jaron Westbrook (Round Rock. Texas) picked up his second yellow of the contest on a foul outside the penalty area, but neither team was able to net a game-winner in the final minute of regulation as the game went into overtime.
In the first overtime period, Carolina's Jordan Gafa played a long ball to an open Martinez who then slotted a ball on the ground past Hreha into the goal for the game-winner in the 94th minute.
ETSU is set to close out the regular season on Tuesday at 7 p.m. as they head to Boone, N.C. to face Appalachian State. For more information on ETSU men's soccer and all other Buccaneer athletic news please visit www.ETSUBucs.com.