Yang propels Bucs into A-Sun Finals with golden goal against Lipscomb
Yang propels Bucs into A-Sun Finals with golden goal against Lipscomb
Friday, November 12, 2010
Bucs to face Stetson in A-Sun Championship on Saturday at 3 p.m.
JOHNSON CITY Tenn. (Nov. 11, 2010)
-  With seven seconds left on the clock in the second overtime period, sophomore Theo Yang (Lilburn Ga.) sent a crowd of 1,036 into a frenzy as his golden goal propelled the ETSU men's soccer team to a 1-0 win over Lipscomb in the Atlantic Sun Semifinals Thursday night at Summers Taylor Stadium.
"I want to thank all the students and the community who came out to support us," said head coach Scott Calabrese. "They helped to create an amazing atmosphere, and helped to lift us to the win."      
With the win, the Bucs (14-5-0, 7-2-0 A-Sun) move on to the A-Sun Finals on Saturday at 3 p.m. as they will face the second seeded Stetson Hatters for the right to go to the NCAA tournament.
Keeper Ronnie Hreha (Asheville, Tenn.) picked up his second straight shutout and sixth of the season as he improved to 11-3-0 on the year.
ETSU outshot the Bisons 25-11 in the contest putting nine on frame, while Lipscomb had a 6-4 advantage in corners.
"In the first half we created a number of quality chances, but we failed to capitalize," Calabrese added. "I give credit to Lipscomb in the second half as they got back into the game and created some chances of their own."
Junior Aaron Schoenfeld (Knoxville, Tenn.) tested the Bisons Brent McGee early as he fired a shot on net only 20 seconds into the contest.
The Bucs forced McGee to make five saves in the period as the ETSU offense was clicking early and often in the first half, but the match would remain scoreless going into the break.
In the second half, Lipscomb began to work their way back into the contest as the Buccaneers only had a 6-4 edge in shots in the period.
ETSU avoided disaster in the 66th minute as Hreha came up with a big stop on a Nick Bibb point blank shot to keep the score 0-0.
The match would go into overtime as neither team was able to net a game-winner in regulation.
Towards the end of the first overtime period, Schoenfeld looked to have given the Buccaneers the game-winner as he sent a header towards an open Bisons net, but McGee came up with another incredible save to keep ETSU off the board and send the game to a second overtime period.
With the clock winding down in the second overtime period, freshman David Geno (Kingsport, Tenn.) broke loose from the Lipscomb defense down the right side of the field and played a ball back to a streaking Yang who one-timed a shot into the back of the net to win the game in the 110th minute.
"Our team showed great determination to continue to push for the result and to win it with 7.2 second left in OT with an amazing finish," Calabrese said. "Now we have a great opportunity to achieve the goal we set for ourselves at the start of the season which is to be the A-Sun champions."
The Bucs improve to 8-1 at home and 6-1 in overtime games on the season. The victory is also the second A-Sun tournament win in the three years for ETSU.
For more information on ETSU men's soccer and all other Buccaneer athletic news please visit www.ETSUBucs.com.