Men’s Soccer Falls, 1-0, to No. 22 Virginia in Exhibition
Men’s Soccer Falls, 1-0, to No. 22 Virginia in Exhibition
Monday, August 15, 2011

Bucs complete two-day exhibition with a, 2-2, draw

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (August 15, 2011) – The ETSU men’s soccer team came up one goal shy, 1-0, of the No. 22 Virginia Cavaliers on Monday morning at Klockner Stadium. The Bucs and Cavs played a 30 minute first half followed by a 45 minute second half in addition to the 38 minutes played on Sunday afternoon. ETSU led Virginia, 2-1, through those 38 minutes.

“We took a lot out of this experience,” said head coach Scott Calabrese. “These last two days have been very good preparation for us. The second half we put in a new group of players, got them some good work and, for a lot of them, their first taste of college soccer.”

Virginia’s Ari Dimas scored the only goal of the game just 10 minutes into the first half. Chris Somerville broke free down the left side and crossed the ball to Dimas who quickly settled and fired the shot in from short range.

10 minutes later, Sophomore David Geno (Kingsport, Tenn.) nearly equalized for the Buccaneers. Geno spun and fired a shot on goal from 13 yards out but had his attempt saved by Virginia’s Spencer LaCivita.

The Bucs trailed, 1-0, after the first 30 minutes off a 5-3 Cavalier advantage in shots.

The second half would be highlighted by freshmen Kade Morgan (Columbia, Tenn.) and Emmanuel Wilson (Memphis, Tenn.), who each fired two shots through the last 45 minutes.

Morgan blasted ETSU’s first good chance of the second half. After receiveing the ball in the center of the field, Morgan dribbled through the Virginia defense and fired a shot that beat the diving Matt Miscione in goal for the Cavs, but also barely avoided the upper left corner of the goal.

In the 48th minute, Wilson broke free down the right side and fired a shot that deflected past the oncoming Miscione towards the end line. Wilson caught the ball before it went out but his second effort went wide.

ETSU would outshoot Virginia, 5-3, in the second half before Virginia put on five late attempts to outshoot the Bucs, 13-8, for the game.

The Bucs played one man up through the final five minutes of the first half when Virginia’s Chris Somerville committed a foul, was shown a yellow and then a second yellow to be sent off. The game would resume at full strength in the second half.

On aggregate, ETSU finished the weekend tied, 2-2, with the 22nd ranked Cavaliers. The Bucs led, 2-1, on Sunday though 38 minutes of action before inclement weather forced play to resume on Monday morning.

The ETSU men’s soccer team kicks off the regular season Saturday, Aug. 27 against Presbyterian in Johnson City, Tenn. at 7 p.m.

For more information on ETSU men’s soccer please visit and click on the men’s soccer links.