Bucs Shutout Marshall, 2-0, to Remain Perfect
Bucs Shutout Marshall, 2-0, to Remain Perfect
Sunday, September 4, 2011

Coulter’s nine-save effort earns ETSU third victory

HUNTINGTON, W. Va. (September 4, 2011) – Shutting out its third consecutive opponent, the ETSU men’s soccer team battled through the rain to defeat Marshall, 2-0, on Sunday night inside Sam Hood Field.

Sophomore David Geno (Kingsport, Tenn.) and senior Aaron Schoenfeld (Knoxville, Tenn.) scored the two goals, with Geno’s coming in the 20th minute for the game-winner. Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Ryan Coulter (Dublin, Ireland) made nine saves, earning both his third victory and shutout of the season.

“This was our best performance to date,” said head coach Scott Calabrese. “We were very successful in playing our game. We passed the ball very well and when things got physical we were able to respond well. We dealt very well with Marshall’s physicality and when things got a little rough we were able to answer and gain control of the match.”

Eleven minutes into the contest, Geno took a shot on goal that had to be saved by Marshall’s Daniel Withrow. Following three Marshall fouls and a yellow card to Schoenfeld, Geno was offered another opportunity to score and would not disappoint.  

Heading a ball into the back of the net, Geno put the Bucs on top in the 20th minute. Junior Alesi Osorio (Austin, Texas) dribbled a ball downfield and played a cross into Schoenfeld. Spotting the opportunity, Schoenfeld played a header to a sprinting Geno who used his momentum to head in the goal and put the Bucs in front.

ETSU battled defensively to lead Marshall, 1-0, at the half. The Herd fouled the Bucs nine times through the half with Tom Jackson being shown a yellow card in the 39th minute.

Five minutes into the second half, Osorio took the first chance for either team but had his shot saved by Withrow. ETSU put eight of its 16 shots on goal, including a second half blast by the reigning A-Sun Player of the Week.

The blast came in the 80th minute, when Frank Doumbe (Silver Springs, Md.) played a through ball to Schoenfeld who saw daylight ahead. The senior captain gained control and drove a shot into the top corner to give ETSU a more comfortable, 2-0, lead and all but secure a victory.

Schoenfeld and Doumbe took four shots in the game to lead all shot takers, along with Marshall’s Tom Jackson. Although sophomore Itode Fubara (Ogbema, Nigeria) recorded only one shot, Calabrese praised the reigning A-Sun Tournament MVP's play in helping ETSU sustain a hold on the lead. 

"Aaron has emerged as a constant threat in and around the box and his hold-up play has been outstanding," said Calabrese. "Fubara was critical in settling us down and his willingness to get on the ball helped us to control the match."

With the victory, the Bucs complete the week 2-0-0 after defeating then-No. 24 UNC Greensboro on Wednesday night, 1-0, in the second overtime period.

The ETSU men’s soccer team will travel to Norfolk, Va. on Friday, September 9, to compete in the Stihl Soccer Classic against Old Dominion at 7 p.m.

For more information on ETSU men’s soccer please visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the men’s soccer links.