Men’s Soccer Surrenders Two Goals in Second Half, Fall, 2-1, to Jacksonville
Men’s Soccer Surrenders Two Goals in Second Half, Fall, 2-1, to Jacksonville
Sunday, October 9, 2011

Schoenfeld’s penalty kick goal not enough as the Dolphins rally at home

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (October 9, 2011) – The ETSU men’s soccer team could not hold on to a, 1-0, halftime lead, as Jacksonville scored two second-half goals to defeat the Buccaneers, 2-1, on Sunday afternoon at a rainy Ashley Sports Complex.

“We’re disappointed in the result given we were up a goal at the half,” said head coach Scott Calabrese. “It’s a game of mistakes and we can’t afford to make certain mistakes in certain areas.

“We’ve got two really important matches next weekend which we now have to focus on and get some points.”

ETSU (7-4-1, 1-3-0 A-Sun) got its first three points of the conference season on Friday with a tough victory over North Florida, but could not capitalize on its second half lead against JU (6-5-1, 3-0-0 A-Sun). The Dolphins put away the equalizer less than five minutes into the new half, and took the lead 10 minutes later which they never relinquished.

The Bucs remain frozen at three points in the A-Sun standings after starting 6-1-1 and being ranked for three weeks in Soccer America’s top 25 and one week by the NSCAA.

Sophomore Nate Hodges (Meridian, Miss.) got the action started with the game’s first shot in the third minute, but sent the chance wide.

The intensity level spiked in the following minute when sophomore Blaike Woodruff (Georgetown, Texas) was issued a yellow card for a foul on JU’s Tyler Williams. Williams could not go on and was substituted for by Trey Collins.

The Dolphins responded with multiple chances. JU got off three shots at redshirt sophomore Ryan Coulter (Dublin, Ireland) in a span of just 20 seconds, but the Irish keeper made a save and had his back line block a second attempt to hold the opposition off the board.

JU’s next scoring chance was disrupted by an ETSU foul in the box adn the Dolphins' were awarded a penalty. Predrag Ivanovic lined up for the penalty, but his shot was saved by Coulter as JU’s first great scoring chance was denied.

Eight minutes later, ETSU was awarded a penalty of its own and made the most of it. Schoenfeld touched a pass off to junior Alesi Osorio (Austin, Texas) who was fouled just inside the box as he was about to let off a shot. The ensuing penalty was taken by Schoenfeld and the senior captain finished the chance to give the Bucs a one-goal lead.

The score stood into halftime despite five combined yellow cards between the two sides in the first half of play. At the break, JU held a slight 9-7 edge in shots and 3-2 advantage in corners.

ETSU’s lead did not hold up for long in the second half, as Darko Karamatic scored unassisted less than five minutes into the new period. Karamatic side stepped an ETSU defender and sent in a shot from the left side of the box to equalize the match.

The game’s sixth yellow came two minutes later when Karamatic was cautioned. It was the last card either side saw the rest of the way through.

JU’s Tyler Williams, the team’s leading shot taker heading into the weekend, gave the Dolphins’ their first lead at the 60:51 mark. Williams’ teammate Chris Helms crossed in a chance that Williams put through from short range at the left post, and the Bucs found themselves in familiar position late in the match.

Unlike Friday, there was no late magic in ETSU as a few opportunities by Theo Yang (Lilburn, Ga.) went by the wayside. The final whistle sounded as ETSU had to swallow its third conference loss of the year, having lost only two in last season’s championship run.

Salvaging three points on the weekend, the Bucs look to continue the climb next weekend with a home series against Stetson and Florida Gulf Coast. Friday’s match against Stetson is scheduled for 7 p.m. and kickoff against FGCU on Sunday is slated for 1 p.m.           

For more information on ETSU men’s soccer please visit and click on the men’s soccer links.