November 09, 20181st2nd1OT Final
FUR46:53Miles Fenton (Conor Sloan )
ETSU54:46Cameron Woodfin
FUR97:37Laurence Wyke (Rocky Guerra )
FURBen Hale97:3713
ETSUJosh Perryman97:3721
Stats at a GlanceFURETSU
Shots (on Goal)9 (3) 8 (4)
Corner Kicks45
Yellow Cards14
Bucs fall in semifinal to Furman, 2-1
Bucs fall in semifinal to Furman, 2-1
Friday, November 9, 2018

Golden goal in 98th minute advances Paladins to finals; Bucs exit with 9-7-1 record

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Nov. 9, 2018) – The ETSU men’s soccer saw its tournament run come to an end on Friday night in Johnson City, as a late golden goal header pushed Furman past ETSU and into the final with a 2-1 win.

With the loss, ETSU is eliminated from tournament contention, meaning it will take an at-large bid for the Bucs to continue postseason play. The Bucs are currently 9-7-1 overall and came into the night ranked No. 39 in the NCAA RPI rankings.

The two teams battled in an even game the entire way, with Furman holding the slim 9-8 shot advantage. Despite this, ETSU had a 4-3 corner kick advantage and kicked five corners to Furman’s four.

“It was a tough game,” said ETSU head coach David Casper. “Furman is really good, and I thought it was two even teams battling all night. It was a tough way to lose. Hopefully we can find a way to get an at large bid and keep our season going. This season has been about our players, and they’ve earned it. Hopefully, the selection committee sees it and rewards us with it because they’ve earned to be in the (field of) 48.”

Tonight marks only the fourth time ETSU has been outshot in its 17 games this year, as the Bucs are outshooting opponents 249-178 this season despite a strong strength of schedule.

After a scoreless first half, the first goal came from Furman’s Miles Fenton, a SoCon all-freshman selection, off an assist from Conor Sloan in the 47th minute.

The Buccaneers wasted no time catching a break to bury the equalizer, drawing a foul inside the box to set up Cameron Woodfin (Old Hickory, Tenn.) for a penalty try. His shot to the right side was pure, tying the game in the 55th minute.

A tightly-contested battle that saw a combined 35 fouls ended in regulation tied at 1-1, sending us to a golden goal overtime period. The Paladins caught the break they needed before the two minute mark, earning a corner kick and heading it through for the win. First team All-SoCon selection and 2017 Player of the Year Laurence Wyke had the game winner.

ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!

For more information on Buccaneer women’s soccer visit and click on the women’s soccer tab. Also, like us on Facebook at ETSU Buccaneer Women’s Soccer and follow us on Twitter @ETSUWSoccer and Instagram @etsu_womens_soccer.