BLACKSBURG, Va. (Sept. 27, 2021) – Following two Southern Conference matches, the ETSU men’s soccer team steps back out of conference play as the Buccaneers head to Blacksburg for a Tuesday night meeting at No. 12 Virginia Tech. Game time is set for 7 p.m. at Thompson Field.
ABOUT THE BUCS
- ETSU is coming off a scoreless draw with Mercer last Saturday in Johnson City … After earning a point in conference play, the Bucs saw their record move to 2-3-2 overall.
- This marks the fourth time in the last six games ETSU will take on a nationally ranked foe.
- The Blue and Gold took a season-high 20 shots against Mercer with seven of those coming on goal … On the season, ETSU is averaging 12 shots per game.
- The Buccaneer defense held Mercer to seven shots in 110 minutes of action last time out, including only two shots on goal, which red-shirt senior goalkeeper Josh Perryman (Sheffield, England) made both stops.
- ETSU is searching for its first win since a 4-2 result over Radford back on Sept. 4 inside Summers-Taylor Stadium.
ABOUT VIRGINIA TECH
- The Hokies are currently ranked No. 12 in the latest United Soccer Coaches Top 25 Poll.
- Virginia Tech enters Tuesday’s match at 5-1-2 overall and 2-1-0 in ACC play.
- The Hokies have won their last three matches, including a 2-1 overtime home win over Notre Dame last Friday.
- Virginia Tech has won both home matches this season as they also defeated Virginia 2-1 in double-overtime on Sept. 17.
- The Hokies also defeated reigning national champion and then-No. 1 Marshall 3-2 on Aug. 29.
- Virginia Tech ranks 25th nationally in total goals (17) and 30th in total points (49), while Jacob Labovitz ranks 19th in the country with five goals scored.
- The all-time series is even at 1-1-1.
- Virginia Tech won the last meeting 1-0 on Nov. 17, 2016 in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament.
- The Bucs won 1-0 on Sept. 20, 2011 in Johnson City, while the two teams played to a 1-1 draw in the first-ever meeting back on Sept. 13, 2009 in Blacksburg.
The Bucs return to conference action this Saturday when ETSU host Wofford at 8 p.m.
For more information on ETSU men’s soccer, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the men’s soccer tab.