ETSU starts 3-0 for the first time in over a decade
ASHEVILLE, N.C. (Sept. 2, 2022) – On Friday night, the ETSU men’s soccer team traveled to Asheville, N.C. and defeated UNC-Asheville, 3-2, at Greenwood Soccer Field. Securing the win in the last minute of the game, the Bucs open the season 3-0 for the first time since 2011.
- 23’ - Brendan Herb scored from the penalty spot for UNCA.
- 33’ – Sebastian Reventlow-Mourier (Viborg, Denmark) scored his first goal for the Bucs off a shot from outside the 18-yard box.
- 66’ – Kieran Richards (Hamilton, New Zealand) scored his fourth goal of the season, assisted by Dominic Foster (London, England).
- 74’ – Brendan Herb scored a free-kick to tie the game.
- 88’ – Tarik Pannholzer (Flensburg, Germany) found the back of the net to win the game, assisted by Reventlow-Mourier.
- The first road game of the season for the Bucs didn’t start as planned. UNCA’s junior midfielder, Herb scored a penalty in the 23rd
- Allowing their first goal of the season, the Bucs only trailed for 10 minutes before Reventlow-Mourier smashed a ball from 22 yards out to knot the game 1-1.
- The Bucs outshot the Bulldogs 9-3 in the opening half and recorded five corners to UNCA’s zero.
- In the second half, ETSU used a corner to its advantage as Reventlow-Mourier took the corner and found the head of Foster who set up a volley by Richards to give the Bucs the 2-1 lead in the 66th minute.
- Less than 10 minutes later, UNC-Asheville was awarded a free kick and Herb found the back of the net to tie the game at two for the Bulldogs in the 74th minute.
- Junior forward, Carlos Portas (Barcelona, Spain) was sent off after receiving his second yellow card of the game in the 76th minute.
- Battling with 10 men for the final 14 minutes of the game, the Bucs only needed 13 to steal the win as Reventlow-Mourier played a 35-yard ball and connected with Pannholzer, who found the net in the 89th minute to secure the win.
- ETSU starts 3-0 for the first time since the 2011 season.
- Richards has scored four goals in three games for the Bucs.
- ETSU is yet to concede a goal in open play as both goals where off set pieces.
- Reventlow-Mourier scored a goal and recorded two assists.
- Four different Bucs played all 90 minutes.
The Bucs will travel to Clinton S.C. to face off against Presbyterian on Tuesday night, game set to kickoff at 6 p.m.