Kieran Richards scored his second brace of the season to lead the way
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Sept. 30, 2022) – On Friday afternoon, the ETSU men’s soccer team opened conference play with a 3-0 victory over VMI at Summers-Taylor Stadium. Behind a brace by Kieran Richards (Hamilton, New Zealand) the Bucs improved to 5-3-1 overall and 1-0 in the SoCon.
- 1’ – Richards scored his fifth goal of the season, assisted by Tarik Pannholzer (Flensburg, Germany).
- 34’ – Christian Inchima (Barrie, Canada) scored his first collegiate goal, assisted by Lucas Lightner (Clarksville, Tenn.)
- 46’ – Richards completed his second brace of the season, assisted by Henrik Gunther (Guetersloh, Germany).
- In the opening seconds of the game, Pannholzer dribbled past a VMI defender and slotted the ball to Richards who found the back of the net for the fifth time this season.
- In the 36th minute of the contest Lightner set up Inchima who scored his first goal for ETSU to give the Bucs a 2-0 lead.
- The Bucs didn’t allow a single shot in the first half for the first time all season. In the opening period the Bucs had possession of the ball 76 percent of the time.
- Mirroring the first half, ETSU scored in the second minute of the second half as Richards finished a set up by Gunther to give the Bucs the 3-0 cushion.
- VMI had its first shot in the 56th minute, which strayed off target. The Keydets recorded five total shots but none of them were on target.
- The Bucs didn’t allow a single shot on target.
- Richards tallied his sixth goal of the season and completed his second brace of the year.
- Twenty-three different Bucs were featured in the contest as Israel Garcia-Perez (Asheville, N.C.) made his debut for ETSU.
- Four Buccaneers were honored pregame for Senior Day - Christian Inchima (Barrie, Canada), Josh Hancock (Torbay, England), Carlos Portas (Barcelona, Spain) and Sam Catherall (Seattle, Wash.).
- With the loss, VMI dipped to 2-7-1 overall and 0-1 in the SoCon.
- The Bucs will host Virginia Tech on Tuesday night at 7 p.m. in Summers-Taylor Stadium.