A Kieran Richards brace leads the Bucs to back-to-back SoCon wins
SPARTANBURG, S.C. (Oct. 8, 2022) – On Saturday night the ETSU men’s soccer team started their first of three straight on the road, defeating Wofford 3-0 behind a brace by Kieran Richards (Hamilton, New Zealand). Winning in Spartanburg, S.C. the Bucs improve to 2-0 in conference play and 6-4-1 overall.
- 27’ – Kieran Richards scored from the penalty spot for his 7th goal of the season.
- 35’ – Tarik Pannholzer (Flensburg, Germany) found the back of the net for the third time this season.
- 68’ – Richards completed his third brace of the season, assisted by Cameron Carroll (Clarksville, Tenn.)
- In the opening 25 minutes of the contest, the Bucs recorded three shots which were all off target.
- In the 26th minute off the first half, David Kovacic (Krsko, Slovenia) was taken down in the 18-yard box to give the Bucs their first penalty shot opportunity of the season.
- Stepping up to take the penalty, Richards found the back of the net for the seventh time this season to give the Bucs the 1-0 lead.
- Less than 10 minutes later Pannholzer found some space to record a shot which bounced off the cross bar which he followed up to score his third goal of the season.
- The Bucs recorded nine first-half shots and only allowed two by Wofford with none landing on target.
- In the 60th minute, Pannholzer had the first true opportunity of the second half for ETSU but his shot was saved by the Wofford goalkeeper Cameron Victor.
- Eight minutes later, Carroll played a ball to Richards who not only gave the Bucs the 3-0 lead but also completed his third brace of the season.
- Cole Hunter (Mount Juliet, Tenn.) recorded his first save of the game in the 78th minute and his second and final save in the 90th minute to record his sixth shutout of the season to put him tied seventh all-time in school history.
- The Bucs outshot Wofford 15-6 overall and 6-2 with shots on target.
- Richards becomes only the second player in program history to record three braces in a season, Pannholzer completed three a season ago.
- Richards moves into sixth all-time in goals scored for ETSU with 15 and Pannholzer sits at the fifth spot with 16.
- In all six wins this season, The Bucs have scored at least three goals.
- With the loss, Wofford dips to 0-1-1 in the SoCon and 3-6-2 overall.
- The Bucs will travel to Greensboro, N.C. next Saturday to battle for the first-place position in the SoCon against UNC-Greensboro at 7 p.m.