Tarik Pannholzer scores the game winner in the 82nd minute
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Oct. 22, 2022) – On Saturday afternoon, ETSU men’s socccer defeated Furman for the first time since 2015 in a 1-0 battle at Summers-Taylor Stadium. Scoring his third game-winning goal of the season Tarik Pannholzer (Flensburg, Germany) aided the Bucs to their third conference win of the season to improve to 3-0-1 in conference play and 7-4-3 overall.
- 82’ – Pannholzer scored his fourth goal of the season to give the Bucs the eventual 1-0 win.
- Coming out the gates strong, the Bucs applied the early pressure on Furman. In the first 10 minutes the Bucs forced a pair of saves. First, Henrik Gunther (Guetersloh, Germany) had an early opportunity in the second minute of the contest.
- Five minutes later, Kieran Richards (Hamilton, New Zealand) made the Furman goalkeeper Ben Roberts work for his second save.
- In the first half, the Bucs faced four different shots but none reached our goalkeeper as the defense blocked all the attempts to protect the net.
- Hungry for a goal, ETSU recorded seven different shots in the opening half with four of them landing on target but were all saved.
- Both Richards and Pannholzer each had a pair of shots with one being saved and the other going off target.
- In the second half, the Bucs had various opportunities to score as Jason Gun (Asheville, N.C.) had his shot from about the six-yard box saved by Roberts.
- The Bucs broke through in the 82nd minute as Pannholzer had his first shot blocked which bounced back to him. In his second attempt he found the back of the net score the eventual game winner for ETSU.
- With a strong defensive performance, ETSU only allowed two second-half shots one in the 70th minute and the other in the 73rd minute of the contest as the only one to land on target.
- The Bucs only allowed one shot on target and outshot Furman 15-6.
- ETSU has recorded three clean sheets in four conference games this season.
- With the loss, Furman dips to 5-6-4 overall and 0-3-1 in conference play.
- The Bucs will play their final regular season home game of the year as they host Northern Kentucky on Tuesday afternoon at 3 p.m. in Summers-Taylor Stadium.
For more information on Buccaneer men’s soccer, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the men’s soccer tab.