Kieran Richards ties the ETSU single-season goals record
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Oct. 25, 2022) – Playing its final non-conference match of the regular season, the ETSU men’s soccer team fell behind early, but the Buccaneers fought back en route to defeating Northern Kentucky, 4-1, on Tuesday afternoon inside Summers-Taylor Stadium.
Behind a record-setting fourth brace by Kieran Richards (Hamilton, New Zealand), the Bucs improve to 8-4-3 on the year.
- 9’ – Sam Robison scored for Northern Kentucky, assisted by Roberto Burlew.
- 10’ – Richards scored his 10th goal of the season, assisted by Cam Carroll (Clarksville, Tenn.)
- 36’ – Carlos Portas (Barcelona, Spain) gave the Bucs the lead, assisted by Lucas Lightner (Clarksville, Tenn.)
- 66’ – Lightner scored his first goal of the season to double the lead, assisted by David Kovacic (Krsko, Slovenia).
- 88’ – Richards completed his brace to give ETSU the eventual 4-1 victory.
- On the hunt early, Richards recorded two shots inside the first five minutes with one forcing a save by Northern Kentucky goalkeeper, Nic Lemen.
- With their first opportunity of the game in the ninth minute, Robison found the back of the net, giving the Norse the 1-0 advantage.
- The next few touches were the spark to start the fireworks for the Bucs, as Carroll perfectly threaded a pass to Richards who finished it first time to score his 10th goal of the campaign in the tenth minute of the contest.
- In the 20th minute, ETSU goalkeeper Marc Kouadio (Montreal, Canada) saved the only attempt on target by Northern Kentucky in the opening period.
- Coming off the bench, Portas wasted no time in making his presence felt as he calmy smashed a ball into the back of the net after Lightner dribbled pasted the defense and found him at the penalty spot in the 36th minute.
- Looking to even the score, Northern Kentucky forced the only two saves by Kouadio early in the second half. His first coming in the 47th minute and second coming moments later in the 51st minute of the contest to keep the Norse at one goal.
- In the 68th minute, the Bucs opened their lead as Kovacic darted through the 18-yard box and crossed the ball into Lightner who scored his first goal of the season.
- After the goal, it was all ETSU as the Bucs only allowed one attempt from a shot that sailed over the crossbar in the 71st minute.
- ETSU would continue to search for its fourth goal in the ensuing minutes as the Bucs forced three saves in the span of 10 minutes on four shots.
- Making his first collegiate start, Gabriel Betancourt (Charlotte, N.C.) was to one to initiate the fourth goal. Betancourt’s shot was saved and pushed away which was eventually cleaned up by Richards to score his 11th goal of the season, tying the school record.
- The Bucs outshot the Norse 18-11 and 13-4 with shots on target.
- With his fourth brace of the season, Richards becomes the only player to do so in program history.
- Richards tied the single-season goal record with 11 and is now fifth all-time in goals scored in program history with 18.
ETSU will play their regular season finale as they travel to Macon, Ga. to face Mercer on Saturday night at 7 p.m.
For more information on Buccaneer men’s soccer, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the men’s soccer tab.