ATHENS, Ga. (Feb. 6, 2014) - ETSU's freshmen-laden lineup was unable to match up with that of No. 4 Georgia, as the Buccaneers fell, 7-0, in Athens, Ga., Thursday afternoon. Seven of the Bucs' last eight matches have come against nationally-ranked opponents.
ETSU senior Roger Ordeig (Gurb, Spain) came closest to finding the win column, falling narrowly to Georgia's Hernus Pieters, 1-6, 6-5 (7-4), 6-1.
The fourth-ranked Bulldogs (3-2) swept singles play, and took the doubles point by notching wins at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles.
Four of the Bulldogs' six singles players currently hold national rankings.
"We were beaten by a better team," ETSU head coach Yaser Zaatini said. "Our guys fought hard, but we just didn't have the firepower to contain their high intensity and great play."
Last season, Georgia advanced to the national semifinals before falling to eventual national champion Virginia.
ETSU will look to rebound from Thursday's loss when it visits Georgia State at 10:00 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 8.
"We competed well, so I'm happy about that," Zaatini said. "Certainly, we have a long way to go."
#4 Georgia 7, #67 ETSU 0
1. #12 Austin Smith (UGA) def. David Biosca (ETSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. #21 Nathan Pasha (UGA) def. Diego Nunez (ETSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. #48 Ben Wagland (UGA) def. Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) 6-3, 6-5 (7-4)
4. #102 Nick Wood (UGA) def. Ismael Merino (ETSU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Hernus Pieters (UGA) def. Roger Ordeig (ETSU) 1-6, 6-5 (7-4), 6-1
6. Eric Diaz (UGA) def. Ricardo Pabon (ETSU) 6-3, 6-3
1. #12 Hernus Pieters/Ben Wagland (UGA) def. Diego Nunez/Ismael Merino (ETSU) 6-3
2. Austin Smith/Eric Diaz (UGA) vs. Roger Ordeig/David Biosca (ETSU) 5-4, unfinished
3. Nick Wood/Nathan Pasha (UGA) def. C. Huertas Del Pino/Ricardo Pabon (ETSU) 6-3
FOLLOW THE BUCS