ETSU extends win streak to three matches with convincing 7-0 win over Stetson
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (March 15, 2014) - After starting the season with 12 road or neutral-site matches, 10 of which came against nationally-ranked teams, the ETSU men's tennis team capped off an unbeaten conference-opening weekend with a commanding 7-0 win over Stetson.
"I am extremely satisfied and proud of the way we came out," ETSU head coach Yaser Zaatini said. "I think the guys were ready to come out and show what they are made of. The team effort was very complete."
The 55th-ranked Buccaneers (6-8) won all six singles points of the day, dropping just one set in the process, however, the freshmen-laden Bucs still showed room for improvement.
"We competed extremely well, but I don't feel we played our best tennis," Zaatini said. "I think that's actually a positive—constructive criticism. I've seen my guys play better.
"During some parts of the match, we were spraying the ball everywhere and I don't like to see that," Zaatini said. "We can be a little more organized. There were times, such as 4-1 or 3-2 leads, where we let them get back in the match. Those are details we can improve from. It was definitely a great start, but there is room for growth. We can get there."
In its first two home matches of the season, ETSU picked up a pair of wins over two perenially competitive A-Sun teams, Florida Gulf Coast and Stetson.
Of the Bucs' first 12 matches, all but two came against nationally-ranked opponents.
"Not sugar coating our schedule definitely helps us," Zaatini said. "We are road warriors, and when we can catch somebody at home, I think the guys enjoy that. It also helped that there was a nice crowd this weekend—a good student turnout."
The Bucs will look to extend their three-match win streak as they host Appalachian State Wednesday, March 19 at 2:00 p.m.
#55 ETSU 7, Stetson 0
1. #105 David Biosca (ETSU) def. Nathan Debut (STET) 6-1, 6-2
2. Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) def. Laurynas Antropikas (STET) 6-2, 6-4
3. Conner Huertas (ETSU) def. Cahit Kapukiran (STET) 6-4, 7-5
4. Ismael Merino (ETSU) def. Chester Espie (STET) 6-2, 6-3
5. Roger Ordeig (ETSU) def. Graham Ball (STET) 6-0, 3-6, 2-1, default
6. Ricardo Pabon (ETSU) def. Egor Panyushkin (STET) 7-5, 6-0
1. Hans Adrian Riseng/Nathan Debut (STET) def. Ismael Merino/Diego Nunez (ETSU) 8-6
2. Roger Ordeig/David Biosca (ETSU) def. Laurynas Antropikas/Chester Espie (STET) 8-4
3. Sebastian Yllera/Conner Huertas (ETSU) def. Egor Panyushkin/Cahit Kapukiran (STET) 8-2
ETSU 6-8; National ranking #55
FOLLOW THE BUCS