BRISTOL, Tenn. (March 6, 2015) - The ETSU men's tennis team extended its winning streak to three matches Saturday, earning a commanding 6-1 victory versus Winthrop at the Bristol Racquet & Fitness Club in Bristol, Tenn.
"Obviously every win is a great win," ETSU head coach Yaser Zaatini said. "Especially when we started so roughly, playing all these big teams and trying to get on the board early, which we had a rough time doing frequently."
Five of the Buccaneers' (4-6) first seven matches this season came against ranked opponents. Since starting 1-6, ETSU has been on a roll, winning three straight matches.
Playing in just their second home match of the season, the Bucs came out strongly Saturday, earning the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots.
"To see the guys starting to come together and blossom and play with confidence is comforting," Zaatini said. "Winthrop is a solid team, but I think playing at home gave our guys some inspiration. There is a lot of room for improvement, though."
ETSU won five of the six singles spots, with all five wins coming in straight-set fashion.
With the Bucs holding a 3-1 match lead, freshman Robert Herrera (Barcelona, Spain) clinched the victory for ETSU, cruising past Winthrop's Joshua Ryan, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 6 Singles.
Co-captain Rogerio Ribeiro (Sao Paulo, Brazil) capped the match with a hard-fought, 7-6 (9), 7-6 (1), win at No. 2 Singles.
Herrera and co-captains Ribeiro and Ismael Merino (Lima, Peru) each extended their singles win streaks to three matches.
"It was a solid overall performance," ETSU assistant coach Ricky Rojas said. "We are starting to gain more confidence with each of these wins. We are still not where we want to be, but I feel we are getting there."
Only one match, a March 19 meeting versus Georgia, stands between ETSU and the start of Southern Conference play.
"What I want to see is the guys being invested in every point of every match," Zaatini said.
The Bucs will begin league play Saturday, March 21 at UNC Greensboro.
ETSU 6, Winthrop 1
1. David Biosca (ETSU) def. Tremayne Mitchell (WU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) def. Dylan Comerford (WU) 7-6 (11-9), 7-6 (7-1)
3. Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) def. Steven Patrick (WU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Michael Chen (WU) def. Conner Huertas (ETSU) 6-4, 6-5
5. Ismael Merino (ETSU) def. Peter Nagovnak (WU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Robert Herrera (ETSU) def. Joshua Ryan (WU) 6-0, 6-1
1. David Biosca/Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) def. Peter Nagovnak/Dylan Comerford (WU) 6-2
2. Steven Patrick/Tremayne Mitchell (WU) vs. Ismael Merino/Robert Herrera (ETSU) 4-3, unfinished
3. Conner Huertas/Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) def. Michael Chen/Joshua Ryan (WU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,4,3,6,5,2)
FOLLOW THE BUCS