MACON, Ga. (April 10, 2015) - The 69th-ranked ETSU men's tennis team continued its winning ways Friday, knocking off league opponent Mercer, 7-0, in Macon, Ga., to extend its win streak to seven matches and move into a first-place tie with Furman in the Southern Conference standings.
The Buccaneers (11-7, 4-0 SoCon) have won 10 of their last 11 matches.
"It was a great team effort today," ETSU head coach Yaser Zaatini said. "We played strong doubles and managed to carry the momentum into singles play."
No. 69 ETSU took a 1-0 advantage into singles play following wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles.
At the No. 1 position, Rogerio Ribeioro (Sao Paulo, Brazil) and David Biosca (Sant Fruitos de Bage, Spain) defeated Mercer's Arnav and Arsav Mohanty, 8-3. Meanwhile, Ismael Merino (Lima, Peru) and Diego Nunez (Monterrey, Mexico) earned an 8-4 victory over Oliver Snaider and Austin Emmet.
The Bucs swept singles play, marking the third time this season ETSU has won all six singles spots in a match.
"Every single guy played a good match and was able to close out each individual court," Zaatini said. "Mercer is a very solid team and extremely dangerous, as well. I'm very pleased with the results today."
A 6-3, 6-4 win by Biosca at No. 1 Singles served as the match-clinching point for the Bucs, snapping Mercer's four-match win streak.
With the win, Biosca extended his team-best singles win streak to seven matches. Merino and Ribeiro have each won six consecutive singles matches.
Having posted an unbeaten, 4-0 record in league play thus far, ETSU is knotted with Furman atop the SoCon standings.
The Bucs will visit Chattanooga Saturday, April 11 at 12:00 p.m. Live stats for the match can be found by clicking here.
#69 ETSU 7, Mercer 0
1. David Biosca (ETSU) def. Oliver Snaider (MER) 6-3, 6-4
2. Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) def. Arnav Mohanty (MER) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Diego Nunez (ETSU) def. Sam Philp (MER) 7-6 (6-4), 6-3
4. Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) def. Anderson Scarpa (MER) 6-3, 6-0
5. Conner Huertas (ETSU) def. Arsav Mohanty (MER) 6-2, 6-3
6. Ismael Merino (ETSU) def. Manuel de Luis (MER) 6-4, 6-1
1. Rogerio Ribeiro/David Biosca (ETSU) def. Arnav Mohanty/Arsav Mohanty (MER) 8-3
2. Ismael Merino/Diego Nunez (ETSU) def. Oliver Snaider/Austin Emmet (MER) 8-4
3. Sam Philp/Anderson Scarpa (MER) def. Sebastian Yllera/Conner Huertas (ETSU) 8-6
ETSU 11-7, 4-0 SoCon; National ranking #69
Mercer 11-12, 4-2 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,3,1,5,6,2)
Saturday, April 11 at Chattanooga - 12:00 p.m. | LIVE STATS
FOLLOW THE BUCS