ATLANTA, Ga. (Jan. 13, 2016) – The East Tennessee State University men’s tennis team was edged in its season opener Wednesday at No. 43 Georgia Tech, 4-3. ETSU was led in the match by senior Sebastian Yllera (Cinco Saltos, Argentina) and sophomore Robert Herrera (Barcelona, Spain) who won their respective singles tilts and they teamed up to score a doubles victory.
In addition to Yllera and Herrera, senior Rogerio Ribeiro (Sao Paulo, Brazil) picked up a win the #3 singles slot over the Yellow Jackets’ Michael Kay: 7-5, 6-0. Reigning Southern Conference Player of the Year David Biosca (Sant Fruitos de Bage, Spain) pushed the sixth-ranked player in the nation, Christopher Eubanks, to an extra point but Eubanks edged Biosca by final scores of 7-6 and 6-4.
“We competed extremely well,” said ETSU Head Coach Yaser Zaatini. “I believe we played well but I leave a little empty believing we should have won this match. Georgia Tech is an excellent team and they have proven themselves over and over in the ACC and this was our chance to prove that we belong on that level.”
ETSU will continue its two-match road swing within the ACC Saturday when it travels to No. 11 Wake Forest. The Demon Deacons are the highest ranked team the Bucs have played since they took on Georgia when they were ranked fifth last season. First serve is scheduled for 6 p.m. in Winston Salem, N.C.
1. #6 Christopher Eubanks (GT) def. David Biosca (ETSU): 7-6, 6-4
2. Carlos Benito (GT) def. Diego Nunez (ETSU): 6-2, 2-6, 6-0
3. Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) def. Michael Kay (GT): 7-5, 6-0
4. Robert Herrera (ETSU) def. Nathan Rakitt (GT): 5-7, 7-5, 1-0
5. Sebastian Yllera (ETSU) def. Cole Fiegel (GT): 6-4, 6-1
6. Andrew Li (GT) def. Ismael Merino (ETSU): 6-0, 6-2
1. #36 Michael Kay/Casey Kay (GT) def. Ismael Merino/Diego Nunez (ETSU): 6-2
2. Christopher Eubanks/Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Rogerio Ribeiro/David Biosca (ETSU): 7-5
3. Sebastian Yllera/Robert Herrera (ETSU) def. Carlos Benito/Andrew Li (GT)
Order of finish:
Singles: 6, 5, 3, 2, 1, 4
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
FOLLOW THE BUCS