Bucs conclude final regular season meets before SoCon Championships
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. / COLUMBIA, S.C. (April 18, 2019) – A triumphant return for multi-sport athlete Karon Delince headlined the final regular weekend for the ETSU track and field teams in split squad action Saturday.
Delince and three other Bucs competed at the USC Outdoor Open at South Carolina, while a handful of ETSU athletes ran distance events at the Virginia Challenge in Charlottesville, Va.
The dual meets marked the final regular season competitions for ETSU.
USC Outdoor Open
- Sophomore Karon Delince (Phenix City, Ala.) won the men’s long jump in his first meet back since Feb. 2, 2019. His mark of 7.24 meters (24' 9") instantly moves him to second place on the conference leaderboard.
- Delince also set a new personal record in his first 100m dash since last season’s SoCon Outdoor Championships, placing 12th in the event. His first dash of the season ranks seventh in the league.
- Freshman Khiara White (Stone Mountain, Ga.) had a podium finish in the women’s long jump with a mark of 5.56m, placing third out of 19 competitors.
- Senior Kiana Davis (Ooltewah) had the fourth-fastest time in the women’s 200m at 24.61. Davis finishes the regular season with the second best time in the conference.
- Senior Lamisha Simmons (Hollywood, Fla.) qualified for the women’s 100 meter hurdles with the seventh-fastest time in the prelims at 14.34. Like Davis, Simmons remains second in the SoCon.
- Sophomore Matthew Scarr (Wamberal, NSW, Australia) ran in the men’s 1500m invite, finishing 22nd at 3:52.88. His season-best of 3:50.60 remains the fifth best in the SoCon.
- Senior Wes Pectol (Greenville, Tenn.) also earned an invite to the men’s 1500, finishing with a time of 3:55.69 for 33rd place. He stands in sixth place on the conference performance list with his personal best from last week at the Tennessee Relays (3:50.86).
- Junior Khayvonn Benson (Marietta, Ga.) finished the men’s 800m invite with a time of 1:56.28 (35th). His season-best time of 1:52.93 remains third in the Southern Conference.
- Sophomore Ben Varghese (Kingsport) placed 16th in the last event of the day for ETSU, finishing at 14:28.65. He currently ranks fourth in the SoCon heading into next weekend’s conference meet.
ETSU will now turn its attention to the 2019 Southern Conference Outdoor Championships in Birmingham, Ala. on April 27-28. This will be the fourth time Samford has hosted the meet and the first time since 2017.
For More Information
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on ETSU track and field, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the track and field pages. Also, follow the program on Twitter @ETSU_TF_XC and on Instagram at the handle @etsuxctf.