Two-day meet to be held in Lexington, Va. starting Saturday
LEXINGTON, Va. (Feb. 25, 2022) – The ETSU men’s and women’s track and field teams are ready to compete in the Southern Conference Indoor Track and Field Championships as competition gets underway Saturday morning inside the VMI Corps Physical Training Facility.
ABOUT THE SOUTHERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP
- The meet will be held Saturday and Sunday inside the VMI Corps Physical Training Facility in Lexington, Va.
- Day one of competition begins with the heptathlon and pentathlon starting at 9 a.m. … Field events on Saturday get underway with the women’s shot put at 1:30 p.m., while track events start at 2:20 p.m. with the trials of the men’s mile.
- ETSU will have three women competing in the pentathlon as Britney Griffith (Kingsport, Tenn.), Antwonike Jennings (Chattanooga, Tenn.) and Jaclyn Wright (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) will be representing the Blue and Gold in the multis.
- Sunday’s events begin with the heptathlon at 9 a.m., while field events start with the women’s triple jump at 10 a.m. and track events begin with the final of the men’s mile at 12:10 p.m.
- ETSU is one of eight men’s teams competing this weekend … Joining the Bucs are: Samford, Western Carolina, Furman, VMI, Wofford, The Citadel and UNCG … Samford has won the last two team titles on the men’s side.
- On the women’s side, the Bucs are one of nine teams competing this weekend … Joining the Blue and Gold are Samford, Wofford, Furman, Western Carolina, VMI, Chattanooga, The Citadel and UNCG … Samford has won the last six team titles on the women’s side … ETSU finished third a year ago and runner-up in 2020 … The Buccaneer women won their lone SoCon championship in 1995 inside the Mini Dome.
- Please click here for a full meet schedule. Live scoring will be provided via com, while Sunday will be video streamed on ESPN+.
ABOUT THE BUCCANEER WOMEN
- Nicole Johnson (Chattanooga, Tenn.), who earned Most Outstanding Track Performer honors a year ago, is eyeing a third straight title in the 60m dash and a second straight gold in the 200m … Johnson won the 60m in 2020 with a school record time of 7.40 and clocked in at 7.43 in 2021 … In the 200m, Johnson finished atop the podium following a time of 24.37.
- Genevieve Schwarz (Oak Ridge, Tenn.) is looking to win gold in the mile for the second straight SoCon championship … Schwarz won in VMI last year with a time of 5:01.46 … Schwarz was named SoCon Athlete of the Week back on Feb. 9 after winning gold in the 800m and mile at the Buccaneer Invitational.
- Mekayla Brown (Elgin, S.C.), the 2018 SoCon Freshman of the Year, won the triple jump at the 2020 conference championship with a mark of 12.63m.
- Symphony Buxton (Knoxville, Tenn.) captured gold in the weight throw in her first two meets of the indoor season, while she will be making her first appearance at the indoor championships since 2019 … Buxton finished second in the weight throw in 2019 with a personal best mark of 18.49m … The Knoxville, Tenn. native earned SoCon Athlete of the Week honors on Jan. 19, following her first win in the weight throw with a heave of 18.25m … Buxton also won gold in the event at the Buccaneer Invitational with a throw of 17.97m.
- Lindsey Stallworth (Knoxville, Tenn.) captured wins in the 3000m and mile this indoor season, while the Buccaneer All-American is looking for her first individual podium finish at the SoCon Indoor Championship.
- At last year’s meet, Lindsay Cooper (Charlotte, N.C.) finished third in both the 400m and 60m hurdles, while she won gold in the 60m hurdles at the Buccaneer Invitational earlier this month.
- Jaclyn Wright (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) is searching for her second pentathlon win of the season as she finished first at the Buccaneer Invitational and teammate Britney Griffith (Kingsport, Tenn.) placed third … Both Buccaneers set personal bests in the event with Wright posting 3100 points and Griffith totaling 2904 points.
ABOUT THE BUCCANEER MEN
- The men have won a pair of SoCon Indoor Championships in program history – capturing wins in 1980 and 1998.
- The Bucs’ best finish since rejoining the SoCon in 2014-15 was a pair of third-place marks in 2017 and 2018.
- Adam Bradtmueller (Sarasota, Fla.) is coming off a school-record performance last time out at the Music City Challenge … Bradtmueller registered a time of 7:58.82, breaking Seamus Hynes’ mark of 7:59.92, set in 1990 … Bradtmueller is making his first SoCon Indoor Championship appearance since 2019 where he finished second in the 5000m with a personal time of 14:30.69, while also being on the gold-medal winning DMR team … Bradtmueller also helped guide the Bucs to gold in the DMR at the 2018 conference meet.
- Matt Scarr (Wamberal, NSW, Australia) won the 3000m title a year ago with a time of 8:24.38, becoming the 11th Buccaneer to win gold in the event at the SoCon Championship.
- Evan Guzman (Franklin, Tenn.) earned SoCon all-freshman team honors in the mile at last year’s championship … Guzman has had a productive indoor season as he posted a pair of second-place finishes in the mile, including a PR (4:08.82) at the Buccaneer Invitational … Guzman also earned SoCon Athlete of the Week honors following his second-place showing at the ETSU Track and Field Invitational back in January.
- Phelani Maduwa (Parys, Free State, South Africa) recorded a win in the 800m at the ETSU Track and Field Invitational in January and finished third in the event at last year’s championship.
- Miguel Parrilla (Knoxville, Tenn.) also has a win in the 800m this indoor season, set at the Buccaneer Invitational earlier this month, while he won the prelims in the 800m last year at the SoCon meet before finishing fourth in the final.
- Myles Stoots (Mobile, Ala.) is coming off a PR showing in the 3000m two weeks ago at the Music City Challenge where he placed second with a time of 8:16.40.
Click here to access SoCon Championship headquarters.
For more information on ETSU track and field, visit ETSUBucs.com.