Bucs to face Gardner-Webb Friday, Coastal Carolina on Sunday
CONWAY, S.C. (Nov. 25, 2021) – The ETSU women’s basketball team heads to South Carolina for the holiday as the Buccaneers gear up for the Coastal Carolina Thanksgiving Classic, beginning Friday afternoon when the Blue and Gold take on Gardner-Webb. The Bucs will also face tournament host Coastal Carolina Sunday at 2 p.m.
ETSU (1-4) vs. Gardner-Webb (0-4) | 4:30 p.m. | HTC Center | Live Stats | Audio
ETSU (1-4) vs. Coastal Carolina (4-0) | 2 p.m. | HTC Center | ESPN+ | Live Stats
ABOUT THE BUCS
- The Bucs are coming off a 63-55 setback to Presbyterian on Tuesday night in Clinton, S.C.
- ETSU was short-handed in the Presbyterian loss as they were without the services of Jamir Huston (Cleveland, Ohio) and Damiah Griffin (Memphis, Tenn.) … Griffin had started the first four games prior to Tuesday and is averaging 8.3 points and 2.8 rebounds in 23.3 minutes per game … Huston has missed the last two games after totaling 10 points and eight rebounds in her first three games this year.
- Kaia Upton (Nashville, Tenn.) scored a career-high 16 points on Tuesday night at Presbyterian … Upton knocked down six shots, two from beyond the arc, and also dished out four of the Bucs’ 12 assists.
- Jaila Roberts (Pensacola, Fla.) was held below double figures in scoring for the first time this season at Presbyterian as she scored five points on 1-of-4 shooting … Roberts is averaging a team-best 12.8 points per game, while also leading the squad in field goals made (22), three-pointers made (9), free throws made (11), and is tied for the lead in assists (15).
- Roberts ranks sixth in the Southern Conference in scoring, is tied for second in three-pointers made per game (1.8) and assist/turnover ratio (1.2), is tied for third in assists (3.0) and tied for fourth in three-point field goal percentage (.429).
- Jakhyia Davis (Knoxville, Tenn.) is tied for sixth among SoCon leaders in field goal percentage (.472), Kaia Upton is tied for second in assist/turnover ratio (1.2) and third in assists (3.0), Damaiah Griffin ranks third in three-point field goal percentage (.455) and Carly Hooks (Atlanta, Ga.) is tied for fourth in blocked shots (0.8).
- As a team, ETSU ranks second in the SoCon in steals per game (10.0) and ranks third in turnover margin (+1.80) and three-pointers made (6.0) … Individually, Carly Hooks is tied for second in the SoCon in steals per game (2.0), Kaia Upton is eighth (1.6) and Courtney Moore (Gainesville, Fla.) is tied for ninth (1.4).
- Gardner-Webb has dropped its first four games to start the season as the Runnin’ Bulldogs have lost to Vanderbilt (75-59), then-No. 19 Georgia (97-45), East Carolina (81-52) and Mercer (63-50).
- The Runnin’ Bulldogs are led by Jhessyka Williams who is posting 14.8 points and 6.8 rebounds per game and shooting 49 percent from the field (22-45).
- Alasia Smith earned preseason all-Big South honors after earning Big South Freshman of the Year in 2020-21 … Smith is averaging 10.8 points and 6.5 rebounds in 29.5 minutes this season.
- As a team, Gardner-Webb is being held to 51.5 points per game and allowing 79 points per contest.
- The Runnin’ Bulldogs were picked to finish fifth in the Big South Conference Preseason Poll.
- Friday marks the seventh all-time meeting between the two former ASUN teams with both squads winning three games each … The Bucs have won three of the last four meetings, including the last – an 88-76 victory on Feb. 25, 2008.
ABOUT COASTAL CAROLINA
- Coastal Carolina has won its first four games to start the season, picking up victories over Agnes Scott (117-25), South Carolina State (81-57), Erskine (74-24) and UNC Wilmington (73-62).
- The Chanticleers are averaging 86.3 points per game and shooting 53 percent from the field, while outscoring their opponents by over 44 points per game ... Coastal Carolina is limiting the opposition to 42 points per game, a 29 percent shooting clip from the field and a 26 percent clip from beyond the mark.
- Coastal Carolina has two players averaging in double figures with Aja Blount scoring 22.3 points per game and Tyra Brown adding 10.5 points … Blount is posting eight rebounds per game and shooting 58 percent from the field (37-64) … Blount earned preseason all-Sun Belt honors after landing a spot on third team all-conference list in 2020-21.
- The Chanticleers are outscoring their opponents by 70 points in the first quarter this season, 119-49.
- Coastal Carolina was picked to finish 11th in the Sun Belt.
- ETSU leads the all-time series, 7-4, but the Bucs are 0-4 all-time on the road against Coastal Carolina … Sunday marks the first meeting since Dec. 18, 2002 when the Chanticleers won 72-62.
- Friday’s game will be broadcast on WXSM-AM 640 with Mike Gallagher providing the call starting with the Atmos Energy Pregame Show at 4 p.m. … Click here for live audio.
- Live stats on Friday will be provided via StatBroadcast.
- Sunday’s game will be video streamed on ESPN+ along with live stats being available on StatBroadcast.
ETSU remains on the road as they head to Boone to take on Appalachian State Wednesday at 5 p.m.
For more information on ETSU women’s basketball, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the women’s basketball tab.