Soccer Bucs blank Bisons, 2-0
Sunday, October 7, 2007

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Oct. 7, 2007) - The ETSU women's soccer team got back on track Sunday as they picked up their first A-Sun victory shutting out the Lipscomb Bisons, 2-0 at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex. The Bucs improve to 5-4-2 overall and 1-3-0 in conference play while the Bisons fall to 3-8-1 and 1-2-1.


The Bucs jumped out to an early lead as Katie Green (Knoxville, Tenn.) found the back of the net off a rebound with assists from Jordan Monty (Mesquite, Texas) and Rachel Van Horn (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) in the 13th minute. Green has now scored a goal in the last three matches for the Bucs.


ETSU continued its offensive onslaught out-shooting the Bisons 8-2 in the first half and a 1-0 advantage going into halftime.


In the second period the Bucs again jumped out to a fast start as Monty dribbled past the keeper to collect her fifth goal of the season on a pass from Green in the 48th minute.


The Bucs defense held off the Bisons attack only allowing four shots during the game, while keeper Erin Bilyeu (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) made two saves and notched her third shutout of the season.


ETSU out-shot Lipscomb 21-4 for the game with 12 members of the Buccaneer squad contributing to the attack. The Bucs also earned eight corner kicks and didn't give up a corner to the Bisons.


"Competing on the road and winning a game was huge for our conference standings. We needed a win today to start to earn our spot in the conference tournament," said head coach Heather Henson. "Today we just came out ready to play in the first 15 minutes of the game and we were able to put a ball in the back of the net early which helped us build our confidence in the attack. At halftime we made a few attacking changes and they were able to adjust to those changes to create another goal for us."


The Bucs will return home to face the Gardner-Webb Bulldogs on Thursday, October 11. The match is slated to begin at 4 p.m. For all ETSU women's soccer action visit