Winthrop Scores in 2OT to Defeat ETSU, 2-1
Winthrop Scores in 2OT to Defeat ETSU, 2-1
Saturday, September 17, 2011

Caudle scores her fifth goal, but ETSU could not put the match away

ROCK HILL, S.C. (September 17, 2011) - With less than two minutes to play in the second overtime period, Winthrop scored to defeat the ETSU women’s soccer team and end its four-game winning streak on Saturday night inside Eagle Field.

Freshman Jenna Caudle (Middletown Md.) scored in her fifth-consecutive game, but this time it would not be enough as the Lady Bucs could not find the back of the net with any more attempts. Though they took 22 shots, the Lady Bucs saw Winthrop’s Tori Davis score on the Eagles' 18th shot of the game to end it.

“We played very well for large portions of the game,” said head coach Adam Sayers. “We started out well but gave away possession a little too easily and Winthrop took advantage of that. We dominated large portions of the game and created many good chances, scored a very good goal, but nothing else would go in for us. We hit the post twice and hit the crossbar on another shot; none of our shots could find the goal.”

The two teams combined for 40 shots through the game, ETSU holding a 22-18 advantage, as senior goalkeeper Caitlin Gaughan (Indianapolis, Ind.) made six saves and Winthrop’s Sarah Schippers made 10 stops.

The early goal bit ETSU (4-3-0) again in this match, as Kelly Clark scored for the second time this season to put Winthrop (3-4-0) ahead in the 8th minute. The Eagles’ Ashley Herndon lined up for a free kick from 40 yards out and Clark met the cross with her head and found the goal on the game’s first shot.

Sophomore Samantha Kron (Paradise Valley, Ariz.) came into tonight with two assists off corner kicks, and threatened to add to that early in the half. Kron took a corner in the 16th and 21st minutes, but neither chance led to a shot and the ETSU had to find another way to score.

The Lady Bucs found a way, using a not so unfamiliar method. After having her first shot of the game saved by Schipper, Caudle connected for her fifth goal of the season to equalize the match. Fellow freshman Tessa Johnson (Knoxville, Tenn.) headed a ball in the direction of Caudle and the Maryland native struck from 15 yards out on the far side for the goal. On the score, Johnson recorded her second assist of the year.

ETSU and Winthrop took a tie score into the break, with ETSU holding an eye-popping 11-4 advantage in shots.

After Winthrop recorded the first two shots of the second half, the Lady Bucs rattled off the game’s next eight shots and two corners. Sophomore Ramey Kerns (Kings Mountain, N.C.) posted two of those attempts, while the other six were fired from six different Lady Bucs, including one by senior Genna Petersen (Loveland, Ohio).

“[Petersen] worked very hard and was a constant threat to score,” commented Sayers. “She always looked dangerous whenever she received the ball going forward and I was pleased with her performance.”

Schippers had to save six shots through the second half to keep ETSU off the board, and the two sides took the, 1-1, score to overtime.

The Eagles created many chances during the second 10-minute session, taking a shot and two corners before Davis found the goal in the 109th minute. Kylene Babauta crossed a ball on the far side and Davis scored near the far post to give Winthrop the victory.

“You really have to credit Winthrop in this match,” added Sayers. “They were always dangerous on the counter-attack and came away with the win in the end.”

The Lady Bucs will return to Summers-Taylor Stadium for their next match, when they begin the conference schedule against USC Upstate on Friday, September 23, at 7 p.m.

For more information on ETSU women’s soccer, please visit and click on the women’s soccer links. Fans can also follow the Lady Bucs on Facebook at ETSU Buccaneer Women’s Soccer.