Maxson and Petersen Vault Lady Bucs to Comeback Over Lipscomb, 2-1
Genna Petersen (above) scored her sixth goal of the season to lead the team with three game-winning goals.
Maxson and Petersen Vault Lady Bucs to Comeback Over Lipscomb, 2-1
Friday, September 30, 2011

ETSU nets two second-half goals to improve to 2-0 in conference play

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (September 30, 2011) – The ETSU women's soccer team eliminated a, 1-0, halftime deficit courtesy of second half goals by freshman Taylor Maxson (Lewisville, Texas) and senior Genna Petersen (Loveland, Ohio), on their way to a, 2-1, victory over Lipscomb on Friday night at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.

“We showed tremendous fight and character to come back from one goal down and come away with the victory,” said head coach Adam Sayers. “It was a physical battle which we adapted to very well”

Friday’s comeback marks the second time in which the Lady Bucs have gone down a goal and rallied for two of their own to come out on top. The other come from behind victory took place on September 9, in the RedHawk Shootout, when ETSU gave up a goal in the fourth minute, only to equalize just before halftime and then take the lead off a Petersen game-winner. 

ETSU (7-3-0, 2-0-0 A-Sun) is off to its best start through 10 games since going 8-2-0 eight years ago, in 2003, and finishing at a program best mark of 12-6-0.

Lipscomb (2-9-1, 0-3-0 A-Sun) scored midway through the first half and looked to be getting off its five-game skid, but the Lady Bisons couldn’t adjust to ETSU’s change in strategy through the second half. Up, 1-0, 10 minutes through the new period, Lipscomb saw its lead vanish as the Lady Bucs scored twice in a matter of four minutes to take the lead and eventual victory.

Senior goalkeeper Caitlin Gaughan (Indianapolis, Ind.) did as most of us are accustomed to witnessing this year, holding the opposition scoreless through the second half and giving her team ample opportunity to mount a comeback. The reigning A-Sun Defensive Player of the Week finished the game with two saves off nine shots faced, allowing just the one goal.

Sophomore Samantha Kron (Paradise Valley, Ariz.) found herself in a familiar place just a few minutes after kickoff, sending in back-to-back corners as ETSU threatened early on. Neither chance generated a goal, but the Lady Bucs fired three shots at Erin Zerio before Lipscomb took its first chance at Gaughan in the 23rd minute.

The Lady Bisons’ initial attack came in a flurry, as Meghan McGuire and Kirsten Heikkinen put three chances at Gaughan that all went wide before Martika Powe put Lipscomb in the lead. Receiving a ball from teammate Stephanie Romero, Powe blasted a shot from 25 yards that made its way into the upper-right corner as Lipscomb struck first.

Sayers implemented a new game plan when the Lady Bucs found themselves still trailing, 1-0, at the half. Although leading, 5-4, in shots, the first-year coach knew something had to change if his team was going to score.

“They made provisions to deal with Jenna Caudle and Genna Petersen in the first half,” commented Sayers. “[Lipscomb] was taking away the space from them quite well, and at halftime we made some adjustments to the shape of the midfield.

“We implemented the game plan brilliantly and were able to score some goals because of it.”

Entering into the attacking midfield to relieve pressure off of Jenna Caudle (Middletown, Md.) and Petersen, Maxson found an opportunity to score and finished the chance. Sophomore Ramey Kerns (Kings Mountain, N.C.) played a ball out wide, beat her defender and crossed in a chance that Maxson one-timed into the net to equalize the match at 1-1.

With the threat of Maxson a concern for Lipscomb, Petersen was able to create space and send the Lady Bucs ahead in a matter of minutes. With enough room to take a shot, Petersen fired a ball that rebounded off Zerio and became loose in the box. The senior, with much collegiate experience under her belt, knew enough to follow her initial shot, and was in place to send home the second chance and suddenly give ETSU its first lead.

The goal was Petersen’s sixth of the year to tie her with Caudle as ETSU’s two top goal scorers.

Lipscomb battled for two shots on goal the rest of the match, including a shot that Gaughan saved in the 89th minute, but could not score as the Lady Bucs’ back line stood their ground until the final whistle sounded.

Continuing their weekend series in Nashville, the Lady Bucs take on Belmont (6-4-0, 3-0-0 A-Sun) in a clash of first-place A-Sun teams on Sunday at 1 p.m.

For more information on ETSU women’s soccer please visit and click on the women’s soccer links. Fans can also follow the Lady Bucs on Facebook at ETSU Buccaneer Women’s Soccer.