FGCU Snaps Lady Bucs’ Seven-Game Winning Streak, 3-0
FGCU Snaps Lady Bucs’ Seven-Game Winning Streak, 3-0
Sunday, October 16, 2011

ETSU handed first conference loss and shutout of 2011

FT. MYERS, Fla. (October 16, 2011) – The ETSU women’s soccer team lost its first conference match of 2011, 3-0, to Florida Gulf Coast on Sunday afternoon at the FGCU Soccer Complex.

The Lady Bucs trailed 1-0 at halftime, but could not find the second-half magic they have been accustomed to creating. The Eagles tacked on two more goals through the second period and leapt into first place in the A-Sun standings, a point ahead of ETSU.

“FGCU played very well today,” said ETSU head coach Adam Sayers. “Their movement was very dynamic and quick, and their speed of play was excellent today.”

ETSU (11-4-0, 6-1-0 A-Sun) never got its rhythm together as FGCU (11-3-2, 6-0-1 A-Sun) outshot the Lady Bucs 15-3 through the match. FGCU senior Olivia Elias scored twice, once in the first half and once in the second half, on a game-high five shots to lead the Eagles to victory. Elias also added to her day with an assist on FGCU’s third goal.

Stephanie Powers kept ETSU off the board and extended her shutout streak to eight-consecutive games, having not allowed a goal through the entire 2011 A-Sun season.

Freshman Jenna Caudle (Middletown, Md.) entered the day tied for the team lead in goals with senior Genna Petersen (Loveland, Ohio), and put up the Lady Bucs’ first chance of the game. 16 minutes in, Caudle fired a shot at Powers but had its saved. The save was one of two which Powers made in the match.

Following the save, FGCU went on the attack and scored its first goal of the match. Brittany Burt took control of the ball and sent in a pass to Elias. The pass gave the FGCU senior a one-on-one with senior goalkeeper Caitlin Gaughan (Indianapolis, Ind.), and Elias put a shot to Gaughan’s left for the early lead.

The Lady Bucs did not find another shot attempt in the first half, but trailed FGCU by just one goal at the break. The Eagles led ETSU 8-1 in shots while ETSU held the 2-1 advantage in corners.

In the ninth minute of the second period, Elias struck again for her second goal of the contest to extend FGCU’s lead. Ashley Ciesielczyk, the reigning A-Sun Defensive Player of the Week, sent a ball into the box, and Elias beat Gaughan to the ball before firing in her second goal of the match.

The goal was Elias’ fifth of the year as the Lady Bucs stared down their first two-goal deficit since the season opener against Wofford.

Shots by sophomores Samantha Kron (Paradise Valley, Ariz.) and Ramey Kerns (Kings Mountain, N.C.) followed, but neither got past Powers.

Before the match ended, FGCU added a goal by Gina Petracco, her team-leading seventh of the season, to extend the Eagles’ lead to 3-0. Elias was credited with an assist on the score, as the senior finished the match with five points.

Returning home for its final two games of the regular season, the ETSU women’s soccer team welcomes Kennesaw State to Summers-Taylor Stadium on Friday, October 21, at 7 p.m.

For more information on ETSU women’s soccer please visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the women’s soccer links. Fans can also follow the Lady Bucs on Facebook at ETSU Buccaneer Women's Soccer.