September 17, 20211st2nd1OT 2OT Final
Tennessee Tech00000
TTUAustin, Isabelle110:0003
ETSUOhba, Shu110:0009
Stats at a GlanceTTUETSU
Shots (on Goal)14 (9) 9 (4)
Corner Kicks29
Bucs have second-half goal wiped off; play Tennessee Tech to scoreless draw
Bucs have second-half goal wiped off; play Tennessee Tech to scoreless draw
Friday, September 17, 2021

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Sept. 17, 2021) – Playing at home for the first time in 23 days, the ETSU women’s soccer team settled to a scoreless draw on Senior Day Friday night at Summers-Taylor Stadium.

The Bucs looked to have cracked the scoreboard when Momoko Horiuchi (Paris, Tenn.) put one through the back of the net in the 70th minute; however, the line judge signaled offsides to wipe off the goal. Despite a couple of scoring chances in overtime, the Blue and Gold were unable to find the golden goal and walked away with their second straight tie.


ETSU remained unbeaten in its last three games as the Bucs’ record moved to 3-1-2, while Tennessee Tech – who was playing its first game since Aug. 29 – went to 1-3-1 on the year.

Freshman Shu Ohba (Fujisawa, Japan) was stellar in goal as she registered a career-high nine saves and is now 3-1-2 on the campaign. Ohba registered her third clean sheet of the season. Tennessee Tech’s Isabelle Austin – the 2020-21 Ohio Valley Conference Goalkeeper of the Year – totaled three saves, moving her mark to 1-3-1. 


The Bucs got off to a sluggish start as the Golden Eagles out-shot ETSU, 7-1, in the opening 45 minutes. Five of those shots were on goal, but Ohba kept TTU off the board. ETSU’s lone shot in the half came from Horiuchi in the 42nd minute, but she misfired high and right of the net.

Both teams had one corner kick in the first half and each committed three fouls.

ETSU picked up the pace in the second half and in overtime as they generated eight shots – four coming on goal. Following the unfortunate and controversial call on the Horiuchi play in the 70th minute, the Bucs missed a golden opportunity in the 99th. With ETSU having a corner kick, the ball was played to the box and Jenna Brown (Claremore, Okla.) had two shots on goal. However, her first shot to the lower right-hand corner was saved by a TTU defender and her second attempt was blocked. The Golden Eagles had the final shot in the opening overtime stanza, but Ohba made her ninth save of the night, sending it to another 10-minute period.

The Bucs had two corners in the second overtime but didn’t put a shot on net, while TTU’s shot in the closing seconds was high off the mark.


ETSU was out-shot 14-9, but held a lopsided advantage on corners, 9-2.

Brown and Raffaella Giuliano (Caserta, Italy) each had two shots, while Chloe Smith led all players with five shots (four on goal) for the visitors from Cookeville.

Sinoxolo Cesane (Capetown, South Africa), Sydney Somogyi (Germantown, Tenn.) and Ohba all played 110 minutes on Friday night.

Friday marked Senior Day for three Buccaneers as Giuliano, Pamela Penaloza (Bogota, Colombia) and Sarah Hill (Somerset, England) were recognized with a special pregame ceremony.


ETSU opens Southern Conference play next Friday when the Bucs host The Citadel at 7 p.m. at Summers-Taylor Stadium. 

For more information on ETSU women’s soccer, visit and click on the women’s soccer tab.