Bucs to face The Citadel Friday night; Mercer on Sunday
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Sept. 23, 2021) – The ETSU women’s soccer team carries a three-game unbeaten streak into Southern Conference play, as the Buccaneers gear up for their conference opener this weekend at home. The Blue and Gold host The Citadel on Friday night at 7 p.m. and Mercer Sunday at 6 p.m. from Summers-Taylor Stadium.
ETSU vs. The Citadel
Friday, Sept. 24 | 7 p.m. | Summers-Taylor Stadium
ETSU vs. Mercer
Sunday, Sept. 26 | 6 p.m. | Summers-Taylor Stadium
Video (ESPN+) | Live Stats
ABOUT THE BUCS
- The Bucs enter SoCon play after going 3-1-2 in non-conference action … ETSU has played back-to-back draws – 0-0 vs. Tennessee Tech last Friday and 1-1 at Lipscomb on Sept. 12 – while defeating MTSU 2-1 on Sept. 10.
- ETSU’s three-match unbeaten streak is its longest since winning four straight from Sept. 23-Oct. 1, 2018 where the Bucs outscored their opponents, 15-2, during that run.
- The Blue and Gold have played back-to-back double-overtime games for the first time Aug. 28-Sept. 1, 2019 when ETSU played USC Upstate to a scoreless draw followed by a 1-1 result at Gardner-Webb.
- ETSU is 5-2-0 in its SoCon openers since rejoining the league in 2014.
- Shu Ohba (Fujisawa, Japan), the reigning SoCon Defensive Player of the Week, ranks third in the SoCon in save percentage (.900) and is fourth in goals against average (0.46).
- As a team, ETSU ranks 22nd nationally in fewest goals allowed per game (.456).
ABOUT THE CITADEL
- The Citadel enters conference play at 6-2, matching its best start in school history … The 2018 Bulldogs also started 6-2.
- The Bulldogs are coming off a 13-day break following their 8-0 win at Johnson (Tenn.) back on Sept. 11 … Junior Suzuka Yosue became the school’s all-time assist leader following her 3-assist performance in that win.
- The Citadel leads the SoCon in goals (28), points (74) shots (176) and assists (18), while being tied with ETSU for fewest goals allowed (3) and tied with Western Carolina in shutouts (5) … The Bulldogs’ 28 goals are tied for the seventh-most among NCAA Division I programs, while ranking eighth in shots per game (22.0).
- ETSU leads the all-time series, 9-2-1, while going 5-1 in games played in Johnson City.
- The Bears are 3-3-1 through seven games this season.
- Mercer is coming off a 2-1 win over Jackson State last Sunday, while they also defeated Mississippi Valley State 10-0 back on Sept. 3.
- The Bears are 1-2-1 on the road this season with their lone win being a 1-0 shutout at Georgia State on Aug. 19.
- Mercer ranks second in the league in goals (15), points (44) and assists (14).
- ETSU has won three of the last five in the series; however, Mercer holds an 11-5-2 all-time lead … All five of the Bucs’ wins have come in Johnson City.
ETSU hits the road next weekend as the Bucs take on Wofford (Friday, 7 p.m.) and Furman (Sunday, 3 p.m.).
For more information on ETSU women’s soccer, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the women’s soccer tab.