ETSU heads to UNCG Friday; VMI Sunday
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Oct. 21, 2021) – The ETSU women’s soccer team preps for its final weekend of regular season competition as the Buccaneers head to UNCG on Friday night and wrap up the trip at VMI Sunday.
ETSU at UNCG
Friday, Oct. 22 | 7 p.m. | UNCG Soccer Stadium
ESPN+ | Live Stats
ETSU at VMI
Sunday, Oct. 24 | 2 p.m. | Patchin Field
ESPN+ | Live Stats
ABOUT THE BUCS
- ETSU is looking to snap a two-game skid after falling to Chattanooga 1-0 on Friday and to regular season champion Samford 2-0 on Sunday.
- The Bucs hold an overall record of 5-5-3 and a conference mark of 2-4-1.
- ETSU leads the SoCon in fewest goals allowed (0.85).
- Shu Ohba (Fujisawa, Japan) ranks third in the conference in save percentage (.849) and fifth in goals against average (0.80).
- Seeding for the SoCon Tournament is still up in the air for the Blue and Gold as they can finish as high as the No. 3 seed and as low as the No. 10 seed. Seeding and the tournament bracket will be announced after play concludes on Sunday.
- UNCG has dropped back-to-back games and enters the weekend with an overall record of 3-6-6 and a conference mark of 2-3-2.
- The Spartans are 2-1-4 at home this season, compared to a 1-5-2 record on the road.
- UNCG is unbeaten at home over its last five matches, going 2-0-3 during this stretch … The Spartans are outscoring their opponents 8-3 during this run.
- On the season, UNCG is being outscored, 17-12, with Caroline Woods leading the team with four goals, while Nicole Souply has totaled three scores on the season.
- UNCG has recorded six shutouts on the season with Aiyanah Tyler-Cooper accounting for all six clean sheets.
- UNCG leads the all-time series, 13-6, while ETSU won the last meeting in the spring, 2-1 … The Spartans have won seven of the nine games played in Greensboro with the Bucs’ last win at UNCG coming on Sept. 27, 2015.
- VMI enters the weekend with an overall record of 3-13-1 and a SoCon mark of 0-6-1.
- The Keydets have lost two straight matches with their last win being a 6-0 result at South Carolina State on Oct. 3.
- Two of VMI’s three wins have come at home – a 1-0 double-overtime victory versus Winthrop (Aug. 28) and a 2-0 result against Hampton (Sept. 2).
- The Keydets have scored 20 goals on the year with Riley Flanagan pacing the team in goals (8), assists (5) and points (21) … Two of Flanagan’s goals have been game winners.
- Eleven different players have posted at least one goal this season for the Keydets.
- ETSU leads the all-time series, 5-1-2 … The two teams have tied the last two seasons, including a 1-1 draw last spring in Johnson City … The Bucs are 1-1-1 all-time in Lexington.
Seeding for the Southern Conference Tournament is still yet to be determined. First round games will be played Tuesday, Oct. 26 at the higher seed site, followed by quarterfinals and semifinals to be played Oct. 29-31 at the No. 1 and No. 2 seed sites. The SoCon Championship will be played Nov. 6 or 7 at the highest remaining seed.
For more information on ETSU women’s soccer, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the women’s soccer tab.