Two late second-half goals propel the Bucs to a victory
BOONE, N.C. (Sept. 8, 2022) – On Thursday night the ETSU women’s soccer team secured its second win of the season, defeating Appalachian State, 3-1. Playing their last match of a five-game road swing, the Bucs scored two goals in less than three minutes to win in Boone, N.C.
- 12’ – Defender, Kinsten Evans (Nolensville, Tenn.) scored from 25 yards out, assisted by midfielder, Selena Wimbish (Chula Vista, Calif.)
- 53’ – Izzi Wood scored from the penalty spot for the Mountaineers.
- 77’ – Aliya Cooper (Chattanooga, Tenn.) found the back of the net for the second time this season.
- 79’ – Forward, Nele Bauer (Bammental, Germany) scored her first collegiate goal.
- The Bucs used the first half to record five shots, with two of them being on target.
- Evans recorded her first collegiate goal in the 12th minute of the game, off a left foot rocket from outside the box. Wimbish set Evans up for her first collegiate assist.
- Early in the second half, Appalachian State was awarded a penalty, which was scored by Izzi Wood to knot the game at 1-1.
- Fighting for the next 20 minutes, the Bucs found the back of the net in the 77th minute. Cooper scored her second goal of the season to give ETSU a 2-1 advantage off a set-piece.
- Two minutes later, Bauer secured the Bucs win as she netted her first collegiate goal, extended the Bucs’ lead to, 3-1.
- With the win, the Bucs moved to 2-2-2 on the season.
- Goalkeeper, Ashton Blair (Knoxville, Tenn.) recorded seven total saves, with six of them coming in the second half.
- Defenders Taylor Limprevil (Spring Hill, Tenn.) and Madi Hook (Fareham, England) played all 90 minutes for the Bucs.
- Appalachian State dipped to a 1-2-3 overall record.
The Bucs will host UNC-Asheville on Senior night, Sunday afternoon in Summers-Taylor Stadium, with kickoff set to be at 6 p.m.