Emma Arnold’s game winner gives ETSU 2-1 victory
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Oct. 9, 2022) – On Sunday afternoon, the ETSU women’s soccer team played its final regular season game at Summers-Taylor Stadium, completing the comeback and defeating UNC-Greensboro 2-1. With their third straight win, the Bucs improved to 3-2-1 in conference play and 5-5-3 overall.
- 4’ – Parker Sikora scored for the Spartans, assisted by Sophie Joy.
- 15’ – Momoko Horiuchi (Paris, Tenn.) scored her first goal of the season, assisted by Grace Eatz (Roswell, Ga.)
- 52’ – Emma Arnold (Bristol, Tenn.) scored in back-to-back- games, assisted by Nele Bauer (Bammental, Germany).
- In the first kicks of the game, Parker Sikora recorded a shot from outside the 18-yard box which took a deflection off the head of defender Madi Hook (Farehman, England) and found the back of the net to give the Spartans the 1-0 lead.
- Ten minutes later, Eatz won a ball in the attacking third and crossed it across the box, finding the foot of Horiuchi, who scored her fifth career goal – tying the score at, 1-1.
- In the 40th minute, Arnold forced the first save by the UNC-Greensboro goalkeeper Abby Buchholz.
- To open the second half, Natalie Capanelli (Ontario, Canada) put the pressure on early, forcing the Spartans goalkeeper second and final save.
- In the 52nd minute of the contest, Arnold curled in a shot from the 18-yard box line to give ETSU the 2-1 lead. Her shot was assisted by Bauer who recorded her second of the season.
- With two minutes left on the clock, ETSU goalkeeper Shu Ohba (Fujisawa, Japan) stopped a shot from the six-yard line to give the Blue and Gold the key conference win.
- The Bucs have won three straight games in the SoCon for the first time since 2018.
- ETSU and UNC-Greensboro were tied with shots with seven and shots on target with four.
- With the loss, the Spartans dipped to 5-6-2 overall and 1-2-1 in conference play.
The Bucs will travel to Birmingham, Ala. on Friday to take on Samford at 7 p.m.