ETSU finishes sixth in the SoCon regular season standings
CULLOWHEE, N.C. (Oct. 23, 2022) – On Sunday afternoon, the ETSU women’s soccer team played their third consecutive road game, suffering a 1-0 setback at Western Carolina. Playing their final game of the regular season, the Bucs end regular season play with a 3-3-3 record in conference play and a 5-6-5 overall mark.
- 54’ – Abbie Lainhart scored for Western Carolina, assisted by Isabella DeMarco.
- In the opening half, the Bucs faced early pressure by the Catamounts but the defense held strong.
- ETSU goalkeeper Shu Ohba (Fujisawa, Japan) stopped the first opportunity for Western Carolina in the sixth minute for her first save.
- In the 39th minute, midfielder Natalie Capanelli (Ontario, Canada) recorded the Bucs lone shot in the first half, which just passed over the crossbar.
- Searching for a goal, Lindsey Cook (Greeneville, Tenn.) had an opportunity in the 50th minute but her shot sailed to the left of the goal.
- In the 54th minute, Western Carolina found the back of the net on a tap-in goal by Lainhart, assisted by DeMarco.
- Looking to double their goal tally, the Catamounts recorded five shots on target in the span of 10 minutes between the 69th-79th minute mark.
- In those 10 minutes, Ohba stopped every shot, holding Western Carolina to the lone goal.
- Trying to get on the board, the Bucs found their only shot on target by Meagan Sours (Erie, Colo.) in the 87th minute which was saved by the Western Carolina goalkeeper Melody Mezzina.
- Ohba recorded eight saves on 15 total shots.
- The backline duo of Sydney Somogyi (Germantown, Tenn.) and Madi Hook (Fareham, England) played all 90 minutes for the Bucs.
- With the win, Western Carolina finished the regular season with a 4-4-1 conference mark and a 5-7-4 overall record.
The Bucs, who are the No. 6 seed in the SoCon Tournament, will now play No. 3 seed Mercer in the quarterfinals. The match will be played on Friday, Oct. 28 at Samford. Game time will be announced at a later time.
For more information on Buccaneer women’s soccer, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the women’s soccer tab.